Every week at my school we have a new theme. Last week our theme was Kings, Queens, and Knights. The students had a lot of fun. We drew castles, we made King and Queen Puppets on a stick, and we talked about knights, and jousting, and … dragons!
The students really liked the dragons. We happened to have a guest come in to do a craft with the students. She read a story about Dragons, and then did a sock puppet dragon craft with the kids. It was super easy and the kids enjoyed it immensely so I thought I would share it with you.
Items you will need include:
Socks, wiggly eyes, shoelace, foam in assorted colors (for dragons wings and tongue), and beads.
The instructions can be (and in my case) have been modified for age level and ability of the child.
- First pick out a sock that you like.
- Pick out a color of foam for the wings, and a color of foam for the flames. If you have the child draw out one wing you can fold the foam in half when you cut it to get 2 wings that are the same. They may decorate the wing if they wish. (*Note: Magic marker does not adhere to the foam very well, it ended up all over the kids hands.) The sample the teacher brought had a nice sparkly line of paint highlighting areas of the wings. Also you can draw and cut out two colors for the flames or just one.
- Next take your shoelace and tie a knot in one end. String about 10 beads on the shoelace. This is for the dragon’s tale. You can have more or less if you wish.
- And that’s it. Adult help is needed for the next part as it involves a hot glue gun.
- Have the adult put the sock on their hand.
- 2 eyes get glued on at the end of the sock. Just above the toe seam. Now twist hand. The heel side should be up and you glue the flames just about where you fingers meet your palm.
- Flip hand back over and wings go on each side a bit above your wrist.
- Next flip your hand over to attach the tail. A few inches above the wings (about 3-4) push the hard plastic part of the shoelace though the sock. Carefully make a knot on the end (on the inside). This keeps the tail from slipping off.
- And voila… You have a dragon. ROAR….
I hope you and your family enjoy making this project as much as my class did.
Basically I chose the project because it was super cute. Some parts of it didn’t look too complex and it was a project that I felt I could successfully complete (with a few of my own modifications).
Let me first talk about the eyes. The eyes on the project bear are beautiful. Deep blue outlined with white. The instructions were well done. They were broken down into steps and stitches to use to reproduce those eyes. However I know my skill level and my patience level with embroidery type projects, and I opted to make simple button eyes.
The bear on the left is one that I made last year, and the one on the right is one I made a few nights ago so I could take you through the steps. They are still cute and homemade just not as complex.
First off I traced the bear pattern on to my felt pieces, one for the front and one for the back. I used contrasting colors: light for the bear and dark for the details or vice versa. The details include the inside of the ears, the paws, and his legs. I didn’t use a specific pattern for those shapes I just cut out a small piece in the same shape as those shown on the original bear and trimmed them till they fit well.
On the bear(s) I started at the ears and worked my way down to the button eyes, the triangle shape nose (with rounded corners).
I stitched the mouth, went to the arm and leg details. After he was completed with his details I sandwiched him to his backing and then stitched him all the way around.
I left a small opening at the bottom to put in the stuffing.
After he was stuffed to my satisfaction I closed him up and he makes bear number 2 in my collection.
I would like to make a whole family of these bears in all sizes and colors but there are so many other art projects out there to try. So we will see if my bear family grows as time permits.
As always, you can help promote my blog by clicking on the Like buttons at the bottom of this post.